This is my blog of my travels in Japan (starting in the spring of 2005)

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Trains

I am convinced the people think foreigners smell, or that we are willing to attack people on trains completely unprovoked. On countless occasions, today being a more obvious showing, Japanese people do not like to sit next to foreigners. About once a week, I will be sitting on a packed train and the seat next to me will be open. There can be upwards of ten or fifteen people standing in the aisles and I will be oddly lucky enough to have all the arm room I need. People just don’t often sit next to blonde haired people on trains. I don’t know why, but I decided that im gonna hiss at the next person who sits next to me. I just want to provide reasoning for their fear. I have also become quite used to my “luxury” seat on the trains and I don’t want to lose that this false sense of grandeur.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps they're mearly extending their thanks for choosing Japan.

1:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...or you could just use the list of "101 things to do in an elevator" and modify it to work on the train if you really want to make them wonder...

Ex: When it gets really quiet, slap forehead and proceed to yell out "EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP!!!"

or do what dad does...buy a 1999 chev. cavalier with the official college football team logo on the hood, drive into an opponent state with shotgun shells, a large black trench coat and a big smile...^^ people in Minnesota just love to stare at us...

2:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never can tell. I ride the bus all the time, and nobody but fucking nobody ever sits next to me. If they do, it with their back to me and facing the aisle.

2:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but I get the feeling that you sit there with a big "Fuck off!" sign on your forehead, while I suspect that this blog's author is quite pleasant.

2:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you blame them? White blond people are strange even here in the States.

4:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Laura!
I couldn't have said it better!
I would be willing to bet that you are right about all your comments on this Post.

7:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home