This is my blog of my travels in Japan (starting in the spring of 2005)

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

oops


oops
Originally uploaded by mtstaffa.
Ok, so my father would be dissapointed in me. I let an important date in history slip me by...and because of it, i think i made a cultural faux pas. It was Aug 14th. I was biking to get some groceries and i saw our local temple decorated like i have never seen before. Everyone was there. Parents, kids, the Yakuza in their "Fun Bus" and the military.

"hmm, it looks interesting, i want to see whats going on." i thought. So i raced home on my one speed beast and grabbed my camera. I parked my bike and went into the open space in front of the temple (walking past a wall of pink lanterns inside the massive Temple Gate). I saw people standing in silence. Some in uniforms.

It took me too long, and my presence was noticed, before i fully realized what i was looking at.

It was the 60th anniversary of the day Japan surrendered to America to end WWII. I was standing in the middle of a service remembering the dead. They people who were killed by my countrymen. Needless to say, i should have noticed the ceremonial cemetery marble Anchors and Airplane propellors. I should have realized the date and combined that with the decorated people full of silent onlookers. But there i was, the blond haired AMERICAN standing with them in their temple marking a day their country "lost" a lot of honor.

I turn around and left as quick as i could.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, no wonder people hate us.

4:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home