This is my blog of my travels in Japan (starting in the spring of 2005)

Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving 2005


Thanksgiving 2005
Originally uploaded by mtstaffa.
Thanksgiving 2005!

Well the holiday came and went. It was as close to the American holiday as i could get. I think i covered all the bases, sans my family. I had turkey, watched football and even saw the Macy's parade live on CNN. (that is what you get when you watch TV and eat your turkey dinner at 11pm in Japan. Heck, i even went shopping the next day for Christmas!

A week ago i went to a chicken butcher and special ordered some Turkey. (Turkey is non existent here). I dont know where it came from, but hopefully somewhere without Bird Flu. The menu for me and a few friends went as follows:

Turkey in a honey glaze
Mashed Potatoes with Bacon
Garlic diced Potatoes
Smoked Ham
Green beans and Corn
Cornbread
Japanese Sho-chu as a substitute for wine

Not a bad menu I think considering the fact that im over here living in Japan where it is impossible to find proper American ingredients. Another MAJOR hindrance was that there are zero ovens in the entire country of Japan. None, Zip, Zilch. So i couldnt order a full turkey, but rather a leg of turkey (family tradition of mine to eat) and some breast and then i grilled it. I am an improviser on stage and in life! It was good. So i cooked dinner while watching a week old game of football (Dallas vs Detroit...the two Thanksgiving teams!). I then ate dinner to CNN and the parade. Then i went out with my friends here and bought them all drinks. It was my way of actually saying thanks to the people who have helped me here so much. My former roommate Adam and all my Japanese friends have really been there for me and helped me make my life in Japan so much easier. And for that i am thankful.

Another thing im thankful for, and im sure they know it, is my family. I have the best parents. Dont think i forgot about on Thanksgiving. I am also thankful for all my friends back home! Happy Holidays everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

For those of you back home...Mike forgot to mention that the pictured plate is only 4 inches in diameter...J style.

10:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you be positive it wasnt swan or kookaburra or soemthing?

1:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home