This is my blog of my travels in Japan (starting in the spring of 2005)

Monday, May 09, 2005

Two dates and Three shirts and One set of training wheels

The other day I went on a few dates. No seriously. One was with Sayo. (she is in my pic website wearing a red shirt and white skirt). The other one was Noriko (aka train girl). Noriko is the one I got the phone number from on the train coming back on my birthday. The dates took place on consecutive days. Both dates followed a similar fashion. The dinners focused on some cultural food that was grossly incorrect and carried a price as if it was imported from the host country earlier that day. I never knew that Mexicans ate their chimichangas with chopsticks or the Italians drink Sake instead of wine. But I learned all of this from my two dinners. Other activities on the dates included going on a massive red Ferris wheel, going to a movie (Hide and Seek…a so-so movie where besides Hide and Seek, they also played Marco Polo. That game was lost on all the Japanese in the audience). We also went shopping. Woot. Both dates were fun and follow dates are planed. I will keep you all updated, don’t worry.

There were three shirts I have seen here and I desperately wanted to ask their owners the story behind the acquisitions of the clothing they were donning but I knew they would have no idea what I was asking. I have seen shirts with the following writing printed on them:

1) “University of Minnesota”
2) “Minneapolis”
3) “Inver Grove Heights Park and Rec Staff”

I wish I had a camera to take pictures of them. I’m assuming they were purchased at a second-hand shop as they all had that cool vintage look to them. I highly doubt the kid I saw wearing the Park and Rec shirt actually worked in Inver Grove Heights Minnesota cleaning up slides and swings. Another thing I wish I had my camera for was the 60-year-old lady I saw bike past me with the aid of training wheels. C’mon lady, it is time to let go. Grow up and take the kiddy wheels off.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"she is in my pic website wearing a red shirt and white skirt"

Where is that?

12:35 AM

 
Blogger Mike Staffa said...

http://homepage.mac.com/mtstaffa/PhotoAlbum6.html

near the bottom

12:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home