This is my blog of my travels in Japan (starting in the spring of 2005)

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Why I Hate My Roommate...

I am writing this 10 feet from the offending person. I loathe this person on so many levels. Now before you think ill of me, let me enlighten you as to why no one in this country gets along with this kid. First off I think i give people the benefit of the doubt and give them show them extra patience....for a period of time...and then after that I lose it. I have lost it. Here are some things that have added up to the final event that made not just Adam and I not like the kid, but our entire circle of Japanese friends as well.

First off, this is his first attempt at living away from home. Yes, he lived with his parents during university...so basically Adam and I are his "parents". First off, he has pissed on the floor a total of 11 times and we have made him wipe it up. Also, I am sure that he shits in our toilet, but he has yet to buy toilet paper. He also has never bought: laundry detergent, dish soap, or coke. He has also never vacuumed and doesnt know when to take the garbage out (if he ever felt like doing it). He is a waste of space here. And "sure that is bad, but surely that isnt enough for me to loathe him" you say...but wait!...there is more. He talks to his girlfriend in America 4 times a day...thats fine. But what is not fine is that he talks to her on the balcony at 3am and we have gotten complaints for the noise. We have told him to not talk on the balcony at night, does he listen?...no. In fact, he gets insulted and snaps back at Adam and I if we tell him to do anything. I politely (seriously) asked him to pitch in around the house a bit more (aka do the dishes, vacuum, take out the garbage or buy coke every now and then), but he snapped at me and said "dude, im gonna buy surround-sound speakers for the apartment". WHAT? We need the garbage emptied, if I want surround-sound speakers I will tell the next-door neighbors to turn on the same channel. Ugh.

You know how when you don't really like someone, even the little things get to you? Well here are some. He talks to people like he is talking to a four year old kid he is playing a game with. He also mumbles and adds little quips to EVERY other thing said on TV. AHHH. Now he does speak japanese, but our japanese friends cannot understand him because he mumbles.

Our japanese friend own their own bar and it is struggling, so i try to do my part to keep it open! Jon (annoying roommate) on the other hand on several occasions has bought his own sandwich and drink and brings it into our friend's bar and sits there and eats his own food! The bar has a full menu and drink list. Is that just me, or is that insanely rude to do? Would you go to a restaurant, be seated and given a menu by a staff member and instead of ordering...dig through a plastic bag and whip out your own cheap lunch? LOSER.

He also had a similar major as me. Political Science. He also wants to work in an Embassy and is going to take the Foreign Service Test. But the best part is how he is going to study. "Im going to star reading the Newsweek each week." WHAT?! If my university professors knew this they would go nuts. THe Newsweek is hardly the way to study for a huge exam.

And here is the worst part that put him over the top for everyone on this island. The other day we had a party at our apartment, the first in a few weeks. He had the following two days off and had no plans for those days that warranted the following behavior. (Side note, as i type this, Jon is in the kitchen sharpening one of our dull butcher knives! AHHH. I hope he doesnt see me typing this. If this rant makes it to blog, im ok....for now!) But back to the story, we were all drinking (the roommates and about 10 of our closest japanese friends). He decided to go to bed early (typical) and then after about 30 minutes, he came out of his room and said "you are being too loud and I cant sleep"...and he dragged his bed into the tiny shower room. WHAT!? Is this kid really 4 years old? I mean c'mon. There are countless other ways to handle that situation than to drag your bed pouting past everyone.

The kid is just socially inept. (he is still sharpening the knife!). The other day he was lost in Osaka (yes!) and instead of using the Japanese he has and asking how to get back to our town, he walked for 4 hours home. He got home at 5:30am. He could have taken a taxi....but he is too cheap. (remember, he doesnt even buy dish soap!)

So what do you think? Are Adam and I and all of our Japanese friends for not liking the kid? Or should we cut him even more slack?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in the right Staffa. If your at your wits ends about this guy, you should tell him how it is. He'll take offense, but hopefully wake the F&%$k up!!

11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home