This is my blog of my travels in Japan (starting in the spring of 2005)

Friday, September 30, 2005

One Crazy Night

Wow is all i can say. Last night the Hanshin Tigers won the pennant for their division. The city went crazy. But this time it was under control (sorta). I was warned about what happened the last time Hansin won the pennant in 1991. The city went nuts. There is a river here called the Dotumbori, and it is 10x dirtier than the Venice canals. People were jumping in in celebration. They would line up and yell through the batting order, and who ever looked like that player, they were peer-presured into jumping in. The funny part is that one player was american, so when they got to his spot in the batting order...the japanese looked around and no one looked like him, so what are they to do?...well they walked a block to KFC and ripped a massive Colonel Sanders statue and threw him in. One person died and 400,000 people marched through the streets.

So this time the police were more prepared. Since Hansin had the pennant secured for a long time, glass walls lined the river. I found out after work that they had won the pennant so some of my friends went down to party in the streets. When we got there we were in awe. 200,000 drunk japanese in yellow and black tiger costumes or other team paraphernalia. I dont know how to explain it, but it was the best night i have had here. (pictures are coming) I went to a few games and some readers might remember that each player has their own chant and dance. Well, i know some of those dances and last night the japanese were in awe that a blonde haired foreigner knew those dances. I led over 200 people in chants all night long. High-fives were aplenty. The best part was that i look like a american player on the team. So they would chant his name (Andy Sheets) and then they carried me on their arms. I was thrown into the air a couple dozen times. People would lift me up (politely hold my beer...and give it back!) and throw me into the air like i was on a large trampoline.

We were in the center of a great party, and i took it upon myself to be the ring leader of the chants. Today at work was a hard day, my voice is hoarse. But if Hansin wins the National Title in a few weaks, the craziness will be even greater!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no pictures yet? tease....

12:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home